Training (Teams & Public Servants)
Types of Training offered
General Staff Training
To assist government employees in understanding and complying with these obligations, I have created two 15 minute training videos. These can be purchased via a yearly licence or individually per staff member.
RTI Practitioner training
- Introduction to the RTI Act and IP Act – an introductory course for new decision makers
- Scopes – creating scopes and understanding them.
- Validity training – covering the validity requirements of the RTI Act and IP Act and what to do if the requirements are not met.
- The RTI Act or the IP Act? – which Act should be applied to an access application and how to advise an applicant to apply under a different Act.
- Charges Estimate Notices – covering why we charge, the amount we charge, how to keep charges at a minimum and the effects on processing periods.
- Consultation – covering why you consult, when you consult and how you consult.
- Refuse to deal and neither confirm nor deny – covering when/how you apply the refuse to deal provisions and the neither confirm nor deny provision.
- Cabinet exemptions
- Executive Council information
- Information briefing an incoming Minister
- BCC Establishment and Coordination Committee information
- Budgetary information for local government
- Information revealing particular sovereign communications
- Contempt of court or parliament
- Information subject to legal professional privilege
- Breach of confidence
- National or State security information
- Law enforcement or public safety information
- Investment incentive scheme information
Public Interest Test Factors
- The public interest factors favouring disclosure part 1 (includes irrelevant factors)
- The public interest factors favouring disclosure part 2
- The business affairs course (includes the non-disclosure factors and public interest harms relating to business affairs of third parties and agencies)
- Non-disclosure factors and public interest harms part 1
- Non-diclosure factors and public interest harms part 2
Technical Training Courses
These courses focus on the technical aspects of RTI/IP decision making.
- Statutory interpretation in the RTI Act and IP Act
- Decision writing workshop – applicant and third party decision notices
- How to apply the public interest test